Jun 15, 2014

Dad: A son’s first hero. A daughter’s first love.

My earliest memories of my dad are of him carrying me around on his shoulders. He would hum a little song as I bounced up and down. I remember feeling like that was the safest place on earth - up there on my daddy’s shoulders. Then there were the days we would play basketball in our living room with laundry baskets and a ball of rolled up socks. I was always on my dad’s team and he would hold my brothers back so I could score. I felt like I could do and accomplish anything. To this day he still makes me feel completely safe and capable of anything. He was my first love and forever holds such a special place in my heart. No one will ever compare to my dad.

 

I am who I am today because of his love and guidance. He taught me the importance of treating each and every person with kindness and compassion, the importance of education, the importance of perseverance and hard work, the importance of dedication and self-sacrifice, the importance of having a good sense of humor, the importance of having a good time with and loving your family and so much more. Watching him develop such a strong bond with my kiddos is bar none one of the best feelings ever. We are so blessed to have him as our dad and grandpa!

 There’s nothing that fills my heart more than getting to see my daughter develop a relationship with her daddy just as I did with mine. Experiencing, firsthand, the lifelong impact a dad has on his daughter makes it just that much more special. I couldn’t have picked a better daddy for my sweet girl. Paul is patient, compassionate, sensitive, supportive, competitive, hands-on and rough with her. His love and guidance is shaping the woman she will be someday and I just love how seriously he takes his role just as my dad did with me.

 So, today I honor these two extra special men I have in my life and say THANK YOU for making me the woman I am today. You mean more to me than you will ever comprehend. I hope you felt just a glimpse of how special you are today. I love you!







**  This does not take away from all the other wonderful fathers in my life – my Papa, my father-in-law, my brother, Tim, my uncles and cousins… all of you are so important and are amazing examples of what a dad should be to his children and family. But today the spotlight is on these two. ;-)  **

No comments: